Friday, July 15, 2011

A Not-So-Simple Trip to the Craft Store

So there I was, screaming baby in one arm and a declined debit card in the other...

This is probably a familiar scene for many mothers, but having that knowledge makes it no less embarrassing. What was supposed to be a simple trip to the craft store, turned into another reminder that, 'life changes when you have a baby', is a very broad, all-encompassing statement.

I arrived in the morning, just when The Caterpillar would go down for her nap. She did, as planned, and we perused every aisle quite thoroughly. During this time, I paid no attention to the clock or the baby sleeping soundly in my cart. No, instead I was dreaming up plans for my Etsy shop. I had visions of colorful head wear, creative pendants and cute clutches, running through my head.

After WAY too long at the cut table, The Caterpillar began to stir. As any mother would, I quickly made my way to the register, jiggling my cart along the way. I filed in line and tried to wait patiently behind a lady who wanted to pay in pennies. She was sure there was more change at the bottom of her purse; if only she could just dig deeper...

I jiggled and jiggled, trying to buy myself the few minutes needed to pay and bolt out the door without causing a scene. Becoming restless behind the penny lady, I nervously watched as The Caterpillar awoke. As I wheeled up to the register and my items were scanned, she smiled a big toothless grin, reassuring me everything would be okay. I whipped out my debit card, door in sight, and then it got ugly. The words "your card has been declined" mingled fiercely with the full-on screams of a hungry baby.

So there I was, screaming baby in one arm and a declined debit card in the other...

How does this happen, you ask? What lessons can we learn from this story?

#1 - When in public with a newborn, watch the clock and your child.

#2 - When the bank sends you a new card, activate it before the old one expires.

6 comments:

  1. Oh man! What a trip. I hope you made it out alive. Great post. Can't wait to read more and for your shop to open!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I have so been there. I'm actually terrified now everytime I go to check-out that my debit card will be declined, lol! :) Fun post Ashley! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because your card didn't work, were you still able to buy everything?! Love the blog and can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Yes, I did get everything, but not without further trouble. After feeding baby in the parking lot, I returned and payed with credit. :( I wouldn't normally do that, but I found that my checkbook was borrowed out of my wallet and never returned, and since I rarely carry cash...you know.

    Thanks for reading! I'll be posting more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. o wow! are you sure you weren't me in another life? seriously! this has happened to me, and probably in a craft store too. i think i even remember the penny lady ahead of me. or maybe it was a nightmare. at any rate, glad you survived to tell the tale.
    yay! i've found a new blog i think i'm going to enjoy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete